Search Judgement Day

20 February 2017

Middle School - The Worst Years Of My Life


So I was looking through Netflix and I came across this film, I thought it sounded interesting from the description:
At Hills Village Middle School, budding cartoonist Rafe and best pal Leo challenge their uptight principle by breaking every rule in his handbook.
So from this description I decided that I would give I a try, I then went to YouTube to find the trailer, and from this I did not hold up much hope, (Trailer) I found that it did not give the best impression of the film that it could of but I still thought I might give it a try.

Okay and now for the Main Event

It was one of those good days and I just wanted a nice funny film to finish of my evening, this film was not that. Not that there is anything wrong with this film I Loved It but I did end up in tears.
I was worried that it would just be another stereotypical America school film but I was pleasantly surprised it was dynamic and actually interesting. There was a twist that you don't really think about until it comes around (which I suppose is the point) But if you were to go back and watch it then there were signs throughout the entire film that point to the twist. I love this about the film the fact that it makes you go back and watch it to see if you can pick up on the signs and see the twist before it happens.
At this point I was going to compare my review with that of other peoples but I want my blog and my reviews to be un-swayed by other peoples thoughts, however if you would like me to compare I will. Simply ask below and maybe state the main reviews you want me to reference.

I'm about to go into detain about why this film made me cry which of course means SPOILERS

Part way through the film it is revealed as to why the main character is having so many issues at school recently his brother died of cancer and to start off with you don't think anything of it, its just been put in so that you feel sorry for the troublemaker.
This not however is not the case.
At the beginning of the film when Rafe starts the new school you meet a boy called Leo, they act as if they are the best of friends with one of Rafe's first lines to Leo being "Your already here" implying that they came from the sae school previously. So not expecting the twist I just went with it, this kid is just a friend of Rafe's that got kicked out of school when Rafe did but...no. Thinking back on it Leo was already there so he can't have been kicked out of the school at the same time as Rafe otherwise they would have started at the new school at the same time. He also already knows all of the school rules and exactly how the principle would move during his lecture (at this point, after knowing the twist, things start to get suspicious). Can I just say something that I feel completely stupid for not realising...nobody and I mean nobody (except Rafe of course) interacts in anyway with Leo...EVER.
Can I also point another thing out and this may give away the twist if you haven't already figured it out...Rafe and Leo look like the could be brothers:




So if you have not figured it out already -
Leo is in Rafe's imagination.
Leo is Rafe's dead Brother

THIS IS WHAT MADE ME CRY! When they did the scene when they revealed this little snippet of information I just had a break down. I literally paused the film, sat on the floor and cried for about 5-10 minutes.
I didn't cry that much for "Fault In Our Stars"!

This film really hit me and its not like I have suffered from this sort of problem or loss it just hit me right in the feels.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later this week I will be putting up a review of "Sing" as I am going to see it in cinema either in Thursday or Friday.
Speak  to you then,

Have A Good One




No comments:

Post a Comment